Monday, February 4, 2013

Vision and Healthy Breakfast Sandwich

I think this was the first time in a long time where we hardly spent any money this past weekend but still had a great time.  Friday night we went to our first couples group at a friend's house and the company, food and topics were all great!  Saturday Garrison had a friend spend the night and they were pretty content just going to the park, playing DS and watching a movie.  I caught this super sweet moment of his super sweet friend holding Ethan's hand while they watched t.v.


Sunday we went to church, relaxed most of the afternoon and watched the big game.  Garrison was in bed at 7 pm to catch up on some sleep from Friday and Saturday night.  The boy was still tired this morning and kept begging to go back to sleep.  I told him he probably shouldn't have friends spend the night anymore if he is going to be too tired for school.  He quickly jumped out of bed and started getting dressed.  Us moms know right where to get them sometimes, don't we?! :)


Vision
Our pastor has been doing a series at church on vision for the last few weeks.  I wanted to share some of the highlights from yesterday because I think they are so great.

  • Without passion a vision is just words.
  • God is looking for someone whose heart is wrecked for what wrecks His heart.
  • To make a difference in the world there has to be a time in our lives of holy discontent, where we look at something and say, "I just can't stand it anymore!".
  • A vision with action can change the world.

What do you have to do to implement your vision?
  1. Expose yourself to pain.
  2. Write it down.
  3. Don't lose hope.

I know that is a lot to soak in but I thought it was all so powerful.  I don't know what my vision is yet for my life but I feel like God is using me and will continue to do so to make a difference in this world, no matter how small.  I have a huge passion for adoption.  What can't I stand anymore?  The injustice of abortion.  The fact that there are SO many orphans in this world (America and other countries) that need a loving family.  That we (including myself) take so much for granted and want to stay in our bubbles and not be affected or bothered with the broken world around us.

I think one of the biggest hurdles to achieving our vision is self doubt.  I know this is what gets me every time.  My dad sent me an awesome story this morning reminding us that we need to see in ourselves what others see in us.  When someone tells me that my story has inspired them to begin the adoption process it fills me with an unexplainable joy.  If I can help one orphan find a loving home that confirms that God is using me for His glory.  Listen to and believe in what others tell you about yourself and use it to fuel your vision.

I have blogged before about my amazing sister.  She was born with spina bifida and has had to endure more trials than most of us.  She has had multiple surgeries and continues to press on.  She is one of those women that makes the devil say, "Oh crap" when her feet (wounded or not) hit the ground in the morning.  She is a living, breathing miracle who has and will continue to make a huge impact on this world. 

My sister recently had surgery on both of her feet at the same time.  As always, she pressed on - in walking boots she continued taking care of her husband, home and three children all under the age of 6.  She ended up with a staph infection in one of her feet and was hospitalized on Friday.  They put her under to flush out the wound in her foot, have her on some super strong antibiotics, put her on a picc line (basically a long, tube that is inserted into a vein in the arm that has a catheter that goes into a large vein in the chest near your heart) to get the antibiotics in her bloodstream more quickly.  Oh yeah, and she is expected to be in the hospital for at least another week.  I wish more than anything I could just leave all of my responsibilities behind for a little while and go be with her.  I know she understands how hard that is for me with my job and two kiddos of my own to take care of. 

I talked to my sister yesterday and fully expected to hear a defeated and beat down voice on the other end of the line.  Instead I hear laughing, joy and excitement about what she feels God has in store for her over the next week or so at the hospital.  Instead of worrying about the uncertainty of what lies ahead this woman is thinking about how many lives she can touch while laying in a hospital bed away from her family.  THAT is vision!  And that is what I aspire to have. 


Thank you Jesus for blessing me with such an incredible sister.  Thank you for using her story to your glory.  Thank you for your healing power in her life.


What is your vision? Lean into God and see.


Healthy Breakfast Sandwich (2 points)

I am proud to see I am down 3 lbs this week.  Yay for healthy eating (and not even having to work out yet)!  I shared this easy healthy breakfast sandwich recipe before but it was one of many that was accidentally deleted.

100 calorie english muffins
Egg whites (I buy liquid egg whites in carton)
1 slice cheese (I use the Sargento 45 calorie slices)
  1. Toast the muffin.
  2. Heat the egg white up (about 1/4 cup) in the microwave for about a minute (or until fluffy) with some Tony's (or any cajun) seasoning.
  3. Put all on the muffin. Yum!
 
You could also add canadian bacon for more points.
 


Jewels*
 



No comments:

Post a Comment