Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Technology Overload and Skinny Cajun Chicken Pasta

I went to Starbucks this morning before work to get a gift card for someone.  After smiling at a lady in the corner (who by the way looked back at me like I was an alien from another planet) I went to stand in the ridiculously long line to do what I do best - people watch.  It hit me like a ton of bricks.  The majority of us go through life with our faces down, usually burried in some sort of technology.  I just started laughing.  I'm sure the guy behind me thought I was crazy... or maybe not since he had his nose in his blackberry and didn't even notice me. 

This was a definite wake up call for me.  I feel like I am pretty conscious about limiting my phone time when my kids are around but this reminded me that it's not only my kids that need me to be in tune.  Our world in general needs us to wake up and pay attention to what is going on around us.  Looking around at what our world has become is it any surprise that we all too often hear about a gunman going into a business or school?  It is probably the only way they can get attention from anyone these days.  I am not justifying that behavior in any way.  I'm just saying that maybe it's time for all of us to step outside our (technology) bubbles and try to affect this world for the better.






I found this recipe on Pinterest/Skinny Taste and made it last night.  It was really yummy! 
 
Skinny Cajun Chicken Pasta
Old Points ~ 6, New Points ~ 8
1 Serving = 1 1/2 cup

Ingredients:

  • 8 ounces uncooked linguine
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1-2 tsp Cajun seasoning (or to taste)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
  • 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 medium tomatoes, diced (I left this out)
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 3 tbsp light cream cheese
  • fresh cracked pepper
  • 2 scallions, chopped
  • salt to taste
  • cooking spray

Directions:

Prep all your vegetables. In a small blender make a slurry by combining milk, flour and cream cheese. Set aside.

Season chicken generously with Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and salt.  Bake chicken in the oven until done.  Set aside.

Prepare pasta in salted water according to package directions.
 
Add olive oil to a skillet and reduce to medium; add bell peppers, onions, and garlic to skillet, sauté 3-4 minutes.

Add mushrooms and tomatoes and sauté 3-4 more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season with 1/4 tsp salt, garlic powder and fresh cracked pepper to taste.

Reduce heat to medium-low; add chicken broth and pour in slurry stirring about 2 minutes.

Slice or Cube chicken.  Add chicken to skillet; adjust salt and Cajun seasoning to taste, cook another minute or two until hot, then add linguine; toss well to coat. Top with chopped scallions and enjoy!


Jewels*




No comments:

Post a Comment