Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Skinny Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas...that don't taste skinny

Garrett and I decided to try eating healthy this week.  Sunday night he asked what was for dinner and I told him I only had "healthy" stuff to make since I had already shopped for the week.  He gave me an odd look.  I said, "I don't think you understand how this whole diet thing works.  You eat the most unhealthy meal you can think of the day before you start the diet."  (And then we picked up Whataburger for dinner...ha!)  How do guys not know this?! 

 
 


If you know me or have read my blog you know I love to cook.  And you know I love to cook meals full of butter, cream or anything else that would tend to widen one's ass a few inches.  Why?!  Because it's good!  But we realize we can't always eat like that and need to better balance our diets.  So where is a girl to turn when looking for healthy recipes?  Definitely not my Paula Deen cookbook!  ;)   Pinterest to the rescue!  I will try posting one recipe each day this week.

I made these last night and they were amazing!  My husband was not looking forward to this dinner because he's not a big fan of regular sour cream chicken enchiladas so why would he like the low fat version?  We were both impressed at how great they turned out!  My only warning with this recipe is to give yourself plenty of time.  If you work during the week you might want to hold off until the weekend to make these.


Skinny Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

Nutrition Info: 275 Calories, 8 g Fat, 30 g Carbs, 14 g Protein


Ingredients

• 16 oz. fat free sour cream
• 1 can fat free cream of chicken soup
• 1 tbls. fresh chopped cilantro (I used a little extra because I love cilantro.)
• 2 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast (3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
• 1 can Mexican Rotel
• 1 cup chopped onions (optional)
• 8 low carb tortillas
• 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese blend
• 1 can diced green chiles

Instructions
  1. In a saucepan, mix together sour cream, soup and cilantro. Heat through and set aside. Be sure to stir often while heating so it does not burn or stick to the bottom of the pan.
  2. Combine the chicken, rotel, onions and green chiles in a pan sprayed with cooking spray. Heat a few minutes until onions are transparent.
  3. Warm the tortillas until flexible. (I forgot to do this but the recipe suggested to microwave them for 10 seconds sandwiched between two damp paper towels.)
  4. Fill each tortilla with about 2 tbls. of the chicken mixture.
  5. Top with about 1 tablespoon of cheese (medium sized pinch).
  6. Roll the tortilla up and place seam side down (or they will unravel) in a 8x11 dish sprayed with cooking spray.
  7. Top with the remaining cheese. 
  8. Pour/Spread the sour cream sauce over enchiladas.
  9. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes until bubbly.
*The original recipe has #7 and #8 switched but I did it the above way to avoid having browned/burnt cheese.*
 
*Below pictures are taken from the website where I found the recipe.*
 



 
 
 

~Jewels*

No comments:

Post a Comment