Friday, October 21, 2016

Boogie

We adopted Sox aka Boogie from the Humane Society when he was just 8 weeks old.  That was in March of 2003, just one month after Garrett and I were married.  I remember when we first got him.  He was the softest dog I had ever touched in my entire life.  That never changed.  Garrett was in the Navy and we were living in Connecticut at the time.  We thought it would be good to name him after our home state of Texas so we first called him Rio.  We quickly realized that name did not fit him at all.  He was tan with all white paws so we thought Sox was a much better fit.  How we came to call him Boogie I do not recall. I just know that was his name for the last 13 years.


We had to put our sweet Boogie down yesterday.  He had been suffering from kidney failure for a while and in those final stages we could not bear to have him suffer.  I had been praying for confirmation for a week.  I needed God to give me a sign that it was time.  When I spoke with the vet she literally said, "It's time".  And as hard as it was to spend that final night and morning with him I never once regretted our decision.  That morning the boys and I said our goodbyes and prayed over him.  When I left our neighborhood to drive them to school we drove through a really thick fog.  My heart felt heavy and thick just like that fog.  I was praying for comfort and peace.  Within a few seconds the fog completely lifted and I saw the sun shining through.  It was one of the most peaceful moments I have ever experienced.  
My husband, my ROCK, took him and stayed with him during his final moments.  I could not bear the thought of remembering my sweet Boogie like that. I wanted to remember him as I knew him best - following me around from room to room, snuggled up next to me on the couch or in bed.  

Boogie was always there to provide comfort.  He just knew when I was sick, sad or in pain.  He was my guard dog and my best friend, especially during those first couple of years when Garrett was gone on deployments in the beginning of our marriage.  He loved us unconditionally.  Even in the final days when I think he knew his time was nearing he was giving us kisses to comfort us while we were crying over him.  He was truly the most selfless creature I have ever known.  

"The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog."  - M.K. Clinton

I wanted to share some pictures of our sweet Boogie over the last 13 years.  


The day Garrett brought him home

They really did have a special bond
 


He LOVED the water!  This was on a beach in Rhode Island.

And a lake in Connecticut

 Snow in Connecticut...I'm surprised he was able to stay above it! 

Boogie and Tex checking out the view from our new house in Virginia Beach.  He just loved chasing the ducks around the pond out back.  He would jump our 6' fence regularly to chase those ducks!

He was so good with the boys.  Garrison loved to feed him from his high chair.


Always nearby for protection



When Ethan came along Boogie was so excited to have another little one in the house!

Sweet hugs!

Just a boy and his dog

They loved Christmas morning!

Snow!!!! In Texas!!! I think he felt like a puppy again!


I think Stoic described him well.

This was the day before he went to be with Jesus.  I miss him so much but I am incredibly grateful he is not suffering.

Brothers.  Tex just doesn't know what to do with himself.  I think he is confused and slowly realizing Boogie is not coming home.

I was able to get a picture of the boys with Boogie on his last day with us.  We all miss him terribly but know he is in a better place.


Thank you for teaching me how to love completely and selflessly, Boogie.  Until we meet again my precious boy. ~Mama


No comments:

Post a Comment