Friday, February 22, 2013

Ten Years

Tomorrow Garrett and I will be celebrating ten years of marriage.  These years have been full of passion, joy, tears, fights, laughter, love, growth, breakthroughs, God, children, changes, moves, and so much more. 

These are just a few highlights from the past ten years that will always be ingrained in my mind:
  • February, 23, 2003 - Our wedding day!  It seems so long ago to think of our wedding day.  It was absolutely beautiful and a day I will remember forever! 
  • Honeymooning in Puerto Vallarta.
  • March, 2003 - Driving to Connecticut (where Garrett was stationed) to begin our life together as husband and wife.  I felt like a complete foreigner there and when we finally felt like we were settling in we had to move again.
  • June, 2004 - Moved to Virginia to start a new journey.  I loved the old little house with the pond in the back.  It was perfect for us!
  • January, 2005 - Taking a pregnancy test and learning I was pregnant with our first little miracle, Garrison.  I went to the doctor to confirm and (in COMPLETE shock) I tried calling Garrett several times.  When he didn't answer (didn't get reception on the ship) I drove to the dock and told the first person I saw that I had to see my husband.  After I told him we sat there in silence.  I think we were both shocked, a little scared and excited about this new adventure.
  • June, 2005 - I moved home to be with my parents since Garrett was scheduled to be out on deployment when Garrison was born. 
  • September 23, 2005 - Our beautiful miracle, Garrison, came into this world a month early.  It was such a blessing that Garrett was able to come home for the weekend when Garrison was born.  When I watched Garrett look at Garrison for the first time I fell in love with him all over again and in a completely different way. 
  • September 25, 2005 - Garrett had to leave two days after Garrison was born to report back to base.  I have never seen my husband as emotional as he was that day.  I remember just watching him sit on the couch with Garrison in the hospital room holding him and staring at him like he never wanted to let go.  After praying together as a family he was off for six weeks.
  • October, 2005 - Flying to Virginia with Garrison (who did awesome on the plane) to see Daddy!  It was an awesome reunion for our family!
  • November, 2005 - Garrett got out of the Navy and we were permanently (finally!) reunited as a family.  We didn't even care that there were 5 people and 4 dogs crammed into my parents house.  It was full of love!
  • February, 2006 - We bought our first house in Wylie (the one we still live in today)!  It was such an exciting day and a new chapter in our lives.
  • December 25, 2011 - We got a phone call about a woman who just had a baby boy and was looking for a family for him.  We were asked if we were open to adopting.  After much discussion and prayer we knew this little boy was meant to be in our family.
  • January, 2012 - Going to the hospital to meet Ethan Gregory Thomas for the first time was surreal.  We went into the NICU and peered into the incubator to get a look at that teeny tiny baby with tubes all over him and nothing on but the smallest diaper I have ever seen.  The time came to hold him and watching Garrett hold him (in the palm of his hand) made me fall even more in love with this big, burly man.  I remember looking at Garrett and thanking God for creating a man that, while a little rough around the edges, had a heart of gold and compassion for life like nothing I have ever seen. 
  • February 10, 2013 - Bringing Ethan home from the hospital.  We picked up Garrison and introduced him to his new baby brother (since he was not allowed in the NICU to meet him).  The love from Garrison to Ethan was instantaneous and visible.  It was so real I wanted to soak in that moment and never let go of it.  I looked at Garrison in a whole new light that day.  I knew at that moment that he was going to turn out to be a wonderful, loving, Godly man who would without a doubt make an incredible husband and father one day.
  • August, 2013 - Adoption Day!  This was the day we got to go in front of the judge and welcome Ethan Gregory Thomas into our family.  What a blessing!

I have not held back when I have blogged about marriage and how difficult it can be.  But I am so incredibly grateful to Jesus for not giving up on us.  He has been there every step of the way through this marriage and without Him we would not be where we are today.

If someone were to ask me (and they have) how we have stayed together for almost 15 years and married for 10 and I had to give one answer it would be simple: Jesus. 

I am thankful for everything we have been through in our marriage.  I am thankful for all of the ups and downs.  I am thankful that we still have passion, love, joy and laughter.  I am just plain thankful!

Prom, 2001
Wedding Day


 Honeymooners!
 


 
 
Connecticut House
 
 
 
Virginia House
 
 
Garrison Robert Thomas
September 23, 2005
 
 

Ethan Gregory Thomas
December 25, 2011 

 
Brothers Meeting for the first time!









Jewels*



No comments:

Post a Comment