Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Isla Mujeres Recap

I am finally getting a chance to sit down and post about vacation.  By the way, am I the only one who feels like I need a pre and post vacation from the actual vacation?  I was a planning machine the entire week before to the point where I printed out instructions/information for my mother-in-law and mom ... okay, in colored file folders with labels displaying their last name.  Yes, I'm a freak. 

The day before vacation I just knew I was coming down with bronchitis so I went to the doctor to get a steroid shot.  I think it helped some but I still coughed through most of the vacation and on the plane.  Ever wonder how to keep people from sitting by you on a crowded airplane?  Just cough excessively during the peak of flu season, haha!

Back to the recap... after dropping Garrison and Ethan off at the sitter's house my dad took us to the airport.  We decided to eat breakfast at this little Irish pub and while it was overpriced (like everything at the airport) it was delicious!  We cheered with some mimosas and were on our way!

To get to Isla Mujeres you fly into Cancun and take a 20 minute cab ride to the ferry.  You then take a 20 minute ferry ride to the island.  I love this island because it's only 5 miles long and one of the most authentic and relaxing places I have ever been on vacation.  Too bad I was still in "mom mode" and it literally took me a full three days to convince myself that no one needed me and I was allowed to relax.  So really our 7 day vacation was more like a 4 day vacation for me... but that's okay.... this mama will take what I can get!


We originally booked the Deluxe Suite Ocean View room.  We were happy with the room but the ocean view was more of a pool view, the balcony wasn't as big as it looked in the pictures and our bedroom overlooked the cemetery.  We decided to upgrade for the last three nights to the top room which was the Grand Platinum Suite and we were ecstatic to be able to enjoy this room... talk about nice!  Definitely more than we are used to on vacation and well worth the $50/day upgrade.  

I wish I would have kept a vacation journal but I didn't so I will just post some pictures (the rest will be on Facebook) and describe as much as I can. 


We went to listen to some awesome live music in town our first night.  See the guy just above Garrett's shoulder?  He was wearing a white tank top and some shorts straight out of 1972 and he dragged me onto the dance floor about 10 minutes after we took this picture.  Hilarious!


This was pretty much my view for 7 days!


Dogs ran wild over there and they loved Garrett - he fed them pretty good!
 

My handsome hubby in his new hat
 

Our view while we were waiting on the boat to take us snorkeling
 

I still can't believe we snorkeled in this beautiful water!
 

Incredible sunset
 

Dessert on fire at the Japanese restaurant onsite at the resort
 

 

Me and the hubbs, both in our new hats!
 

They brought us chocolate covered fruit and champagne one night - of course we had to take goofy pictures with it!
 


Our upgraded room!  It was two floors with a downstairs balcony, two bathrooms and a huge upstairs balcony complete with lawn chairs, a loveseat and the best part - a private infinity pool that overlooked the oceanl!  Amazing!
 


We rented a golf cart and went all over the island (took a whole three hours, haha)!  This was one of the awesome beaches we came across where we picked out seashells for the boys.



Private beach at our resort with lots of lawn chairs and huts for shade.  So relaxing!
 

We finally scored a cabana one day - had to go down to the beach at 6:30 am just to reserve it.
 

It was so worth it!
 

A shop in town with my name on it! :)


The day we left - I was a little excited to see my boys!
 

Us on the ferry ride back to Cancun

Loved coming home to my little super hero, Garrison.
 

And my little monkey, Ethan!
 

And this, folks, is the most beautiful sunrise I have EVER seen... any guesses where?  Texas of course!!!  I had to snap this picture after dropping Garrison off at school Friday morning to remind me that no sunrise or sunset will ever beat those in Texas! :)
 

We had an amazing and unforgettable time but nothing beats coming home to Texas and our boys!


Jewels*


No comments:

Post a Comment