Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Focusing On Your Gifts

I have blogged before about how as women we tend to compare ourselves to other women and end up finding even more flaws in ourselves.  I hope that by the time you reach your 20's you realize that a lot of women out there are putting on a facade and what you see is not necessarily who they are.  Looking at someone's life from the outside, what they portray, is very likely not entirely accurate.  I was recently reading a devotional and I felt the need to blog about this again because I think it's so important for us, as women, to be secure in who we are. 

It is so important for our children (daughters AND sons) to see us as confident women who are satisfied with how God made us.  We need to use what God gave us (physical, emotional, mental, spiritual) to His glory and we can't do that until we fully appreciate what He has given us.  Garrison and I were reading his childrens' devotional the other night and it said God formed us.  It specifically said that the bible uses the word "formed" instead of created for a reason.  God spent time thinking about how He wanted us to be - he formed us like you would form clay, not just created us like He did the sky, ocean or animals.  This is what makes us all unique with our own individual gifts.  That is some powerful stuff right there!

When you allow yourself to focus on your positive qualities it is SO much easier to understand who God wants you to be.  Trust me when I say I can find a hundred things wrong with myself.  But I have learned that God has given me many gifts and once I started focusing on those instead of my flaws I started to understand His purpose for my life.  I'm not saying I have it all figured out.  And I am a firm believer that my purpose could change from day to day.  But when I am in tune with what He wants from me and when I have confidence in who I am and who he "formed" me to be I find a sense of contentment and fulfillment that I cannot get from anyone or anywhere else.

Here are some great verses that were in the devotional I read:

I am accepted...

Ephesians 1:3-8 I have been chosen by God and adopted as His child.
Colossians 1:13-14 I have been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins.
Colossians 2:9-10 I am complete in Christ.


I am secure...

Romans 8:28 I am assured that God works for my good in all circumstances.
Romans 8:31-39 I am free from condemnation. I can't be separated from God's love.
Philippians1:6 I am confident God will complete the good work He started in me.


I am significant...

Ephesians 2:10 I am God's workmanship.
Ephesians 3:12 I may approach God with freedom and confidence.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.


Trust in Him.  Trust that He has a purpose for you.  Stop focusing on your flaws and start focusing on your gifts.  Stop comparing yourself to others because you will never measure up.  We need to focus on measuring up to what He wants from us and not what we think we want for ourselves.




Jewels*

No comments:

Post a Comment