Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Chicken a la Gloria

I like to think I've really got my crap together as a mom but sometimes (however rare it may be, haha) dads really do know best.  Ethan had been coughing continuously for about a day and Garrett told me I should take him to the doctor yesterday morning.  He didn't have a fever and was still eating/sleeping pretty well.  I, of course, argued with him and told him we should wait it out and see how it went.  He insisted so I took Ethan to the doctor yesterday afternoon.  Sure enough he had an ear infection.  I called Garrett and told him he was right.  Let me just take a moment and say this is one of the few times I have had to do this. :)

On a serious note, I am super thankful this is only the second ear infection for my baby boy.  Garrison had about ten ear infections by the time he was 6 months and had to get tubes.  Anyone else think it was a coincidence that Ethan had to go to public daycare for 4 days last week due to his sitter having the flu?  Once again, my decision to go with an in home sitter this time around has been confirmed. 

By the way, does this look like a sick boy to you?  I turned around at a red light yesterday and this is what I saw.  It's times like this where any worry I have had just melts away and I feel truly blessed that God trusted me to be this boy's mama.




I am working extra hard to eat better so going forward you will likely see healthy recipes on my blog for the most part.  You can bet I will still be trying out some of those Paula Deen recipes for my once a week cheat meal and I will be certain to share those as well.

I intended on making this Chicken a la Gloria last week but didn't get around to it so I made it last night.  I would say this is somewhat healthy.  It's a creamy dish but made with cream of mushroom soup, unlike my normal heavy whipping cream.  ;)  So don't feel too guilty about trying this one.  I also think it's a really easy dish to make.  I recommend serving this one with caesar salad.



Chicken a la Gloria




Ingredients:
  • 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts, trimmed and filleted in half lengthwise
  • 1/3 cup of flour
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 (8 oz) container of sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup of sherry wine (I used white wine because I already had some... shocker, I know.)
  • 1 small can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 6 slices of Muenster cheese
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley for garnish
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F
Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper, dredge lightly in flour to coat both sides. Shake off excess.

Add oil to frying pan and brown chicken in batches on both sides. You don’t need to cook the chicken completely. It will finish cooking in the oven. Transfer the chicken to a 9×13-inch baking dish.


Pour sauce over the chicken breasts, cover with foil and bake in oven for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and top each piece of chicken with one slice of Muenster cheese. You can fold the cheese in half if it is too wide for the breast.

Place chicken back in oven uncovered and broil for 1-2 minutes to brown the cheese. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Top with chopped fresh parsley and serve.


Jewels*

No comments:

Post a Comment