Thursday, October 3, 2013

What This World Needs

Government shut downs, mothers killing their babies, school shootings, teachers molesting their students, drug overdoses, sex trafficking, teenage suicides.  Every news headline these days seems to be full of tragedy and brings overwhelming sadness. 

Just the other day I signed into my email account and the top story was about how a local man killed his dog with a shovel because the dog ruined his patio furniture.  My first thought was that I would love to get a shovel and meet that man in his jail cell.  Just kidding.  Kind of.  But later that day I listened to one of my favorite songs by Casting Crowns, "What This World Needs".  There is no official video but you can watch the live version below.


Sometimes we think we have all the answers to what this country or this world needs.  I am guilty of this.  Maybe we do need for democrats and republicans to get along.  Maybe we do need a new president.  Maybe we do need to have harsher punishments for first time sex offenders and animal cruelty offenders. 

But most of all, we need Jesus.  The entire world needs Jesus.  Not good thoughts, not sending positive messages into the universe, not doing good deeds, not treating others as we want to be treated.  Jesus.  It really is that simple.  Why do we have to make it so complicated?

I love the spoken part of the song:
People aren't confused by the Gospel.
They're confused by us.
Jesus is the only way to God, but we are not the only way to Jesus.
This world doesn't need my tie, my hoodie, my denomination or my interpretation of the Bible.
They just need Jesus.
We can be passionate about what we believe, but we can't strap ourselves to the Gospel, because we are slowing it down.
Jesus is going to save the world, but maybe the best thing we can do is just get out of the way.



We are called to spread the Gospel.  We are called to love our neighbors as ourselves.  But as Jesus says in Matthew 22:37-40 we are first and foremost called to love the Lord with all our heart, soul and mind. 

After reflecting on the words and scripture above I realize that sometimes I just need to get out of the way.  I can show love, reserve judgment, pray for someone...and then get out the way and let Jesus do His thing. 

The Holy Spirit is so much more powerful than my words.  His grace is so much greater than my actions.  His love is so much bigger than mine.


~Jewels*

No comments:

Post a Comment