Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Never Say Never and Reprioritizing

Some of the most important advice my Mama ever gave me was "Never Say Never".  I remember her saying this over and over to me for years.  I used to disregard this as another one of her corny sayings but as I get older this saying (along with many, many others) has become SO true!

Take last night for example.  Ethan woke up screaming around 11:45.  I went into his room to check on him.  I am big on the cry it out method but this sounded like an in pain or seriously upset cry rather than a "I just want to wake you up in the middle of the night" cry.  I went in there and he was just all over the place.  He kept pointing to the door because he obviously needed something outside of his room.  I caved and decided to give him a cup of milk (the only thing that typically calms him down if he wakes up in the middle of the night, which is rare).  And here is where I insert the "Never Say Never" because I used to tell Garrett I would never get up with the kids in the middle of the night after they learned to sleep through the night.  I stuck with it for Garrison...not so much for our youngest, stubborn, hard headed, slightly more difficult, lovable Ethan.

Anyhoo, he didn't want the milk.  He kept pointing at the pantry and saying "cracker".  Yeah right.  If I'm not going to wake up with him in the middle of the night why in the hell would I feed him in the middle of the night?  That would just be starting all kinds of bad habits.  So naturally I got him the damn cracker.  But that wasn't enough.  He wanted the peanut butter on it.  I'm pretty sure in my sleep deprived state I looked at him and said, "Seriously kid?!".  After a couple of graham crackers with peanut butter he was good to go and back to sleep he went.  I couldn't let this photo op pass me by so here you go... proof that my mom is right.  Never Say Never!


And yes, Nadia, if you're reading this he wore the same shirt to your house today that he slept in last night.  Ha!

I won't say I won't get up with him if he wakes up tonight.  But I will say this better have been a one night thing!


I told y'all in a previous post I am rocking the flip phone since losing my oh so nice tech smart phone last week.  When it rings I whip that thing out of my purse with pride and flip it open like I have the latest and greatest phone technology has to offer.  Okay, so it takes me about five minutes to send a text message and I can't send or receive picture texts but I have to say it it's not all that bad.  Going back to the old flip phone has prevented me from getting on Facebook (as often) and Instagram and checking email throughout the day.  It has honestly helped me reprioritize my life.  It's kind of nice not having the constant distraction around.  I might just wait the full six months to replace my phone so I can break some bad habits and focus on the more important things in life.




~Jewels*

No comments:

Post a Comment