Thursday, May 17, 2012

Taking Womens' Rights Too Far?

Garrett and I were watching the news last night and there was a segment on a "new policy" for credit card companies.  You can watch the clip/read the article here if you want. 

The basic idea is that credit card companies are denying "stay at home moms" credit cards because they cannot prove that they have income to pay on this line of credit.  I am sitting there in awe with my mouth hanging open at the TV listening to these women rant about how this is discriminatory toward women, blah blah blah.  Are you serious?  It's common sense.  If you have no income how are you going to pay for the credit card?  Obviously we know these women very likely have spouses who bring in the money but do we really expect credit card companies to come and do a home study and look at their husband's pay stubs and then give a line of credit to the stay at home mom?  Come on!

I have been home with Ethan and Garrison (after school) since February.  I now, more than ever, appreciate the job of a stay at home mom.  It most definitely is hard work and I applaud the women out there who do this full time.  However, is marriage not a partnership?  What is the problem with your spouse taking out a credit card and adding you on the account?  Problem solved!  You can both build credit together... what a concept!

I realize I am very traditional in the fact that I think the man should be the head of the household.  I also think a husband and wife should make decisions together and parent together but I look to my husband as the "leader" of our family.  One of my favorite movie lines is from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" when the mom says, "The man is the head of the house but the woman is the neck.  And she can turn that head any way she wants to."  I couldn't agree more.  I mean, how could Garrett say no to this face?



Our country has come a long, long, long way with womens' rights.  And sometimes I just want to tell some of these crazy, liberal women that enough is enough.

*Jewels


No comments:

Post a Comment