Thursday, May 3, 2012

Laughter

I had a long day and all I wanted to do was come home and have a quiet, peaceful night with the family.  After being out all day I realized I had not logged in to my work e-mail and of course I logged on to encounter one problem after another.  Long story short I had to book a couple of flights tonight and due to American Airlines having some website issues I ended up dealing with a ridiculously rude woman (who had to have had a corn cob stuck up her ass) at American.  I hung up stressed, frustrated and just in a bad mood all together.  Hearing my husband and six year old playing baseball out back lightened my mood a little bit but then Ethan started screaming in his swing while I was trying to get dinner started.  I just wasn't getting the peace I was hoping for.

About twenty minutes (and a glass of wine) later I sat on the couch to watch some tv with my boys.  Garrett had this show on called Impractical Jokers.  I had seen this show advertised a while back but had never seen it.  These must have been re-runs but we sat and watched about 3 or 4 of them in a row.  I was laughing so hard I was crying.  Here are just a couple of clips for your viewing pleasure:




 About an hour later I forgot all about my stressful evening and bad mood.  I realized that laughter really is a cure all.  I remember being at my uncle's funeral when I was about 10 and just being so incredibly sad that he was gone.  Sadness doesn't last long in the Gerber family though and my main memories from his funeral are of so many funny events instead of the sadness.

Laughter has gotten Garrett and I through many downs in our marriage.  Laughter has gotten me to cope with some absolutely ridiculous (and I mean ridiculous) situations at work.  Laughter has helped me to keep my patience with my children.  Laughter has kept me sane.

I'm sure this will come as a shock to all of you but I have always been a bit goofy.  I know how much I love to laugh so I like to try and make other people laugh as well.  Case in point:




I immediately know if I am going to be friends with someone if I leave a conversation with my mascara running and my stomach hurting.  The best times I have had with friends are days or nights full of laughing so hard I can't breathe.  These are the friends I crave spending more time with.

"A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones." ~Proverbs 17:22

I encourage you to find laughter in your daily lives.  And if you can't find it you just need to find some funnier friends. (Ha!)

*Jewels

No comments:

Post a Comment