Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Is your infant sleeping with you?

This is such a controversial topic and I almost didn't write about it for that reason.  But I think people are so sensitive to this issue and therefore it is rarely discussed.

I believe that parents should make their own decisions in many circumstances while raising children.  Want to breastfeed?  Go for it!  Don't want to breastfeed?  That's cool too!  Choose to allow your baby to self soothe?  Awesome!  Want to hold your baby all the time and never teach them to self soothe?  Totally your choice. 

Since this is a blog and I am a parent of two I will give my opinion on here but I almost never preach about what someone should or should not do.  That being said, I am a firm believer that allowing infants to sleep in bed with their parent or parents is so incredibly dangerous and irresponsible no matter what the reason is.  I realize some people have been doing this for generations with no consequence, but many people have done this and sadly suffered the ultimate consequence.

Someone recently sent me this article (which prompted this post) about a Texas woman who was convicted of killing her infant son.  By the way, this was her second infant child who has died while sleeping in bed with her and her husband.  I do not judge this woman (or anyone who lets their infants sleep with them).  Instead I feel sorry for her and the fact that she was not intelligent enough to understand the risks associated with this dangerous practice EVEN AFTER already losing one son this way and getting information on the risks associated with allowing infants to sleep in bed with her.

I am not an expert on this topic by any means.  I don't know what the appropriate age is to let a child start sleeping in a bed with their parents.  Having our children first sleep in bassinets (in our room) and then in their crib in their own room around 3-4 months of age was not only safer but gave them and us the much needed rest we need.  Side note:  Garrison started sleeping through the night at 8 weeks and Ethan started sleeping through the night at 3 1/2 months.  This is an added bonus!

I sincerely hope that no one is offended by this post.  My only purpose of writing this is to encourage people to do their research on this topic and make sure your babies stay safe.

In Love,
Jewels*

No comments:

Post a Comment