Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Superior (and oh so easy) Meatloaf and Boyscout Potatoes

I now understand what women mean when they use the term "hunting widow".  My husband has gotten really into hunting this year and I predict this addiction will continue, if not grow, in the coming years.  You won't hear me complain though.  I would much rather have a husband who is gone hunting every other weekend than playing video games constantly (yes, that used to be him) or out at the strip clubs (thank God that didn't used to be him).  He killed a doe a couple weeks ago and when we went to Coleman this past weekend we were able to pick it up from the processor.  I have been searching Pinterest for venison recipes so be on the lookout for successful ones on the blog in the coming weeks.  Until then...


Superior Meatloaf and Boyscout Potatoes

If I'm being honest the word meatloaf makes me want to throw up a little.  But not THIS meatloaf.  It is made with Lipton's onion soup mix so it has much more flavor than a traditional meatloaf.

I am giving you the half recipe version; however, I am still using a full packet of the Lipton Onion Soup mix because I love lots of flavor.  I love making meatloaf because it takes about 5 minutes to prep and then you can wait on it to bake.  If you are going to make the boyscout potatoes with the meatloaf and don't have a double oven you can do what I did last night.  Make the potatoes first (stop at the step where you add the cheese), then bake the meatloaf, then put the potatoes back in to melt the cheese while the meatloaf is cooling.

Ingredients:
  • 1 packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix (or any brand onion gravy)
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 piece of regular bread torn into chunks
  • 1 egg
  • HALF of 3/4 cup water
  • HALF of 1/3 cup ketchup
*I will compliment myself on cooking but you will never hear me compliment myself on my mad math skills, hence the reason for the above measurement descriptions.*

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl.  Who needs a spoon?  Don't be skerd to get your hands dirty.
  3. Shape meat mixture into a loaf in an ungreased pan.  You can use an 8x8 or 13x9 dish.
  4. Bake for 30-40 minutes.  I bake mine until the top edges become slightly crispy.

The boyscout potatoes are out of this world delicious!  And we can pretend they are healthy, too.  I will just link you to my recipe here since I posted this a while back.  I will say I'm not sure why I previously told y'all to bake these at 425 degrees.  I typically bake them at 375 now (for about 40 minutes) so they don't overcook.

Happy Cooking!

~Jewels*


No comments:

Post a Comment