Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Love of a Child

I was reading a friend's blog today and she posted such an eye opening video.  It was a clip from the Today Show where women where asked to describe themselves as mothers.  All of their descriptions were negative and focused on their failures.  The mothers were called back a few days later and asked to watch videos of their kids who were asked the same thing - to describe their moms.  You MUST watch it by clicking the below link.

http://www.today.com/video/today/53433157#53433157


That is powerful stuff right here.  I am a mom of an almost 2 year old and 8 year old.  There are times where I feel completely confident as a mom and know I am giving them everything they need.  Then there are other times where I feel guilty for not giving my kids enough attention or feel like I have failed them in some way.  It is so easy to get caught up in our "failures" and let the guilt consume us.  But what I have to remember is that my boys, thank goodness, love me no matter what.

Kids love us even when we discipline them.  Remember that when you feel guilty about giving them consequences for bad choices.  They love us even after we tell them they cannot have any more candy.  They love us even when we lose our patience and snap at them. 

This doesn't mean I should be a lazy parent or stop working on my patience.  It means that my boys have the ability to offer me forgiveness and grace.  And yet again I can't help but see the likeness between a child's love for a parent and God's love for His children (all of us).  God has these ways of showing me what His love is like through every day relationships.  I once again find myself feeling so undeserving and yet so humbled by love.  Both from my children and from my God.



~Jewels*

No comments:

Post a Comment