Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Money, Money, Money ~ How Much is Enough?

My dad sent me a devotional email a while back that discussed money.  The main question was, "How Much is Enough?".  What a great question.  Money has continuously been on my mind lately.  In discussions with friends and family, in social media posts, in blog readings and in devotional readings.  Money is a blessing.  Money is a curse.  Money is life changing.  Money is life ending. 

My husband and I are not the best savers.  When we decided to adopt Ethan one of the big hurdles was finances.  But that didn't stop God from coming through for us.  I am not at all ashamed to admit that we used my entire 401K for the adoption.  Do I find it coincidental that we had EXACTLY enough for the adoption expenses?  Not at all.  Some people may say what we did was fiscally irresponsible.  I say it was God's way of giving us exactly what we needed to fulfill His purpose for our life and Ethan's life.
 
A few years ago I was making very good money as a full time Executive Assistant.  I knew that was not where God wanted me after we adopted our youngest son two years ago and I was blessed enough to be given the opportunity to work part time.  The pay is still great considering what I do and the fact that I only have to work 30 hours a week but I know I could be working full time again and making more.  So why don't I?  The answer is simple.  I know it's not what God wants for me right now. 

It's not my money anyways.  It's His.  And He has shown me time and time again that I need to rely on him (not my job or our financial situation).  Now, I'm not saying we are perfect and always do with our money what God wants us to.  I don't think God blessed me with a good job a few years back so we could travel to some of our favorite destinations like Dominican Republic and Isla Mujeres.  But it sure was fun!  And those trips gave my husband and I some much needed alone time.  Those trips allowed us to focus on our relationship and have deep, uninterrupted discussions about our future and our family.
 
Please don't misunderstand me.  Being financially responsible is important and I could use more discipline in that area.  My point in this post is only to say that I have come to learn that there is no use worrying about or focusing on money.  Instead I choose to focus on the One who gave me this life and what He wants from me in that life.  In the end He is the only one we have to answer to.

The awesome thing about God is that He doesn't pick and choose who He blesses.  If we, first and foremost, remain faithful to Him He will bless us.  Again and again He will bless us.

The funny thing is we are probably the tightest on money we have ever been and I couldn't feel more blessed. 







"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 5:3

~Jewels*

No comments:

Post a Comment