Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Stand Up in Love

I was certainly seeing red on Facebook yesterday...and LOTS of it!  This was the symbol for those who did not see it or don't have Facebook.
What does it mean?  It is a symbol to show support for "gay marriage and equality". 

It is no secret I am against gay marriage.  Why?  Because the bible clearly states that homosexuality is a sin and that marriage is meant to be between one man and one woman.  Please read this entire post before dismissing this as a Christian's excuse for being against same sex marriage.

"But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband." ~1 Corinthians 7:2-3

"Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman, ' for she was taken out of man." For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh." ~Genesis 2:22-24

“‘If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." ~ Leviticus 20:13

As Christians we do not have the authority or privilege of picking and choosing what we want to believe from the bible.  The bible is not some "outdated book" that needs to come out with new revisions every year based on what our society accepts or condones.

Here is what I have come to learn.  I used to get so angry when I saw what I can only describe as ignorance in some people.  I would get so frustrated and hateful about what people accept and condone just because of our modern world.  I have learned to truly live out the phrase, "Hate the Sin.  Love the Sinner.".  Even when people don't see what they are doing as sinful I can still love them.  Even when people parade around their sins (I am not just speaking of homosexuality) I can still love them.  Even when people hate me for my convictions I can still love them. 

Jesus doesn't want us to judge others and he definitely doesn't want us to hate others.  He does expect us to remain faithful to His word though. And He does expect us to stand firm in our faith and our beliefs. 

"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong." ~1 Corinthians 16:13

I saw this quote by Rick Warren yesterday and had to share it.  It's such a true statement.


And another great quote from Max Lucado:


“God created marriage. No government subcommittee envisioned it. No social organization developed it. Marriage was  conceived and born in the mind of God.” ~ Max Lucado

I encourage you today to show Christ's love to the world, especially to those you disagree with.  This doesn't mean you should give up your beliefs for theirs.  It means you should love them where they are in their life and try to speak truth into their lives in a loving way.  It's what we, as Christians, are called to do.

 

Jewels*
 



No comments:

Post a Comment