Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Senior Series: Raising a Husband

I know this sounds weird, but since you've been a little boy I have had to remind myself that I am raising a husband, not a boy.  Let me explain.  You know I absolutely love serving my family.  I love to cook for y'all, serve y'all dinner, and shower y'all with love and affection.  With you and your brother I often have to stop myself and remember I am raising husbands, not little boys.  So, do I want to raise my sons (future husbands) who expect their wife to cook them dinner, serve them dinner, and constantly shower them with love and affection after a long day at work or a long day with the kids?  Nope.  So, I have always tried to show you how to be a man who thinks of others first and does not take the generosity of others for granted.

Funny story...I remember when you were about 7 years old.  I was SO tired of going in your bathroom and smelling pee.  (I still do not understand why it was so hard for you to pee in the toilet and not on the floor, walls, shower curtain, wherever else you were peeing.)  I finally decided to teach you one of those important life lessons and make you start mopping your bathroom floor.  Welp, that back-fired.  You grabbed that mop and started mopping away.  As I stood there leaning against the bathroom door with my arms folded you turned and looked at me with a huge smile.  "This is fun!  Can I do another room next?"  You always had a way of surprising me, kid.  I mean, what in the world?! 


I know I've been talking about your future role as a husband, but I hope you will remember what I have taught you about future girlfriends/wives.  Mean girls and drama mamas have no place in your world.  I pray you will find your best friend to live your life with - while she won't be perfect (none of us are), I hope you will find someone who loves you unconditionally, who nurtures and cares for your family, who puts Jesus first, and who you can laugh with every day (even when you're fighting).  

Your dad and I have tried to keep a sense of humor alive and active in the family.  I know things haven't always been "peachy keen jelly bean" but I hope you remember all the amazing times we've shared as a family, full of laughter.  Life is way too serious as it is.  One of the things I love most about you is your ability to be goofy.  I remember when you used to pose as a mannequin at Old Navy.  Every time we would go in there you would pose with your fellow mannequins.  I felt like I was watching Candid Camera when people would come in and try to figure out if you were real or not.  It still cracks me up to this day when I think about it.  (You better believe I have photo proof of this below.)  I love your easy going nature where you allow me to poke fun at you, and you at me.  Don't ever lose that quality.  



You have always, always, always been so good about being appreciative of all I do for you.  I want to tell you right here that has not gone unnoticed for the last 18 years.  Seriously.  You have always made me feel so loved and appreciated.  I don't know how many moms can say that of their 18 year-old sons, but I am grateful to be one of them.  And you always seem to know just when I need one of those amazing Garrison hugs - the ones that have changed from me comforting you into you comforting me.  I will continue to look forward to those hugs for the rest of my life.

I love you.












No comments:

Post a Comment