Monday, April 22, 2024

Senior Series: Only Jesus

 I remember hearing this Casting Crowns song for the first time and it was like they had seen into my soul.  The song is called, "Only Jesus".  Here is the chorus and the bridge:


And I, I don't want to leave a legacy

I don't care if they remember me
Only Jesus
And I, I've only got one life to live
I'll let every second point to Him
Only Jesus

All the kingdoms built, all the trophies won
Will crumble into dust when it's said and done
'Cause all that really matters
Did I live the truth to the ones I love
Was my life the proof that there is only One
Whose name will last forever

I had so many big goals as a mom:

-Help them fulfill their dreams, no matter how many practices or games you have to drive them to

-Keep things light and keep them laughing

-Give them memories they will treasure always, including awesome vacations

-Create a healthy balance of discipline and unconditional love

-Teach them to be kind and humble

By no means have I been a perfect mom.  I have made a lot of mistakes, but I have always loved you with every fiber of my being.  And my ultimate goal has always been that you will truly know Jesus and have a relationship with Him.

You have already experienced the loss of a grandparent. I know how hard that has been and I wish I could tell you the grief of that loss will ease over time, but it may not.  And you will lose more incredible grandparents.  One day you will lose Dad and me.  You will experience so much loss in this world and that is exactly why I pray you will never lose your faith and your love for Jesus.  He has the ability to heal every hurt, catch every tear, comfort every minute of loneliness, and to bring hope to the hopeless. 

I remember being in the hospital with your brother when we weren't sure if he would even make it through.  If I'm being honest, I was angry with God during that time.  Why would He have given us this amazing gift only to potentially take that gift away?  It was at that moment, when I surrendered all to God, that I realized He entrusted me and Dad with you and your brother.  And I realize He loves both of you FAR more than I could ever even be capable of loving.  That is unfathomable because I would literally give my life for both of you.  One day you will realize what an incredible honor and gift it is to be a parent and just how potent that love is.  If you hear nothing else from me, hear this - He is EVERYTHING, Garrison.  He will always be there for you and He will NEVER ever fail you.

I love you.  And He loves you even more.

"We love because He first loved us." -1 John 4:19

"My salvation and my honor depend on God; He is my mighty rock and my refuge." -Psalm 62:7

 











No comments:

Post a Comment