Tuesday, May 6, 2014

You Go Before Me and Follow Me

If I could sum my sister up in one word it would be "faithful".  She is truly an inspiration to me and so many others.  No matter what life throws at her she knows and believes to her very core that God is good ALL the time.  I have shared her story before on my blog (read it here).  I wanted to also share her perspective on her story, her journey, her life, below.  This is something she wrote for the Women with a Purpose newsletter at her church in Houston.   


My Story
 
"This is my story, this is my song
I want to be a part of something beautiful
If this is my journey, then show me Your road
Wherever you lead me in this world I want to go"
These beautiful lyrics from Addison Road's song "My Story" have truly been my comfort and a prayer for the past couple of years.
 
In 1980, I was born with Spina Bifida. This was before extensive ultrasounds were available, and there weren't as many medical developments then as there are now, especially in this area. My parents were young, but they had faith the size of a mustard seed. It didn't look good from the beginning, and doctors had little hope as to what my life expectancy would be. After a major 7 hour microscopic surgery at 9 days old, my parents waited and watched as I grew up doing all the "normal" things other children did. I never really had any huge problems until I turned 17, my senior year of high school. Long story short - we found out the hard way that my spinal cord was tethering, and life would never be the same. Slowly over the years that followed, my physical abilities have become more and more limited.
 
I've had 3 spinal surgeries, 12 foot surgeries, I've been told I'd never walk again, I can't feel from my waist down, there seems to be new complications arising all the time, and there are so many other medical issues that you wouldn't want to read about, but through it all God has been shaping me into the person He created me to be. (And I know I still have a long way to go!) At different times I have wondered why I am so different from everyone else. Sure, for the most part I may look the same on the outside, but there are so many reasons for me to feel different and broken - or so those were the lies the enemy wanted me to believe. Even now as a mom with 3 young children, there are times I look around and see other moms doing things that I could never do - simple things like running around with their kids, squatting down to their level to tie their shoe, jumping and dancing with them, and things that most people take for granted until they can't do them. But then I remember what God says: I am loved, He has a purpose, and everything is about Him and not me anyway. I am reminded by how truly full my life is. He has blessed me with 3 beautiful and HEALTHY children. I have a husband who loves me unconditionally even with all my "stuff." I have a church home and friends that I can be real with. I have a Heavenly Father who provides my every need and always has my back. What more could I want? Why would I want to be like everyone else? I have my own story that God is writing for me. So do you. I pray that you find joy in the story you are living and can see that God has a great plan for your life, as a mom, as a woman, as His daughter.
 
The Psalms say:
You go before me and follow me.
   You place Your hand of blessing on my head. -Psalm 139:5
 
Oh, how I pray we would hear and believe that the God of the Universe goes before us and behind us. He desires to bless us in every aspect of our lives. Know that this is His Promise to His children.
 
Kristin DePue


My sister and her beautiful family


I can honestly say I have never heard that scripture before (Psalm 139:5).  When I read it something really resonated in my heart.  What an amazing God we serve that goes before us and follows us.  He is with us at all times, every step of the way, even before we were born.  God "created your inmost being, knitting you together in your mother's womb" (Psalm 139:13).  He has a plan for you.  For me.  For all of us.  (Jeremiah 29:11) 

I want to have the same outlook on life that my sister has.  I want to wake up every day thankful that I am alive.  I don't want a day to go by where I don't thank God for my husband and partner in this life or my beautiful boys and for the privilege to be their mom.  I want to be everything God calls me to be.

My prayer today is for myself and anyone reading this.  I pray that we can realize how incredible the God we serve is.  I pray that we will be so in awe of His love for us that we can't help but to share that love with others.  I pray that we will be content with what we have in life and stop wanting more.  I pray that we realize God never changes.  He is good all the time, no matter what our life circumstances are.



~Jewels*




 

No comments:

Post a Comment