Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Love Isn't Enough

You know those cliché sayings like "Love is enough" or "Love is all you need"?  It has taken me a while to realize that those are completely false. 

Love may be enough to get you through a fight with your best friend or a rocky marriage for a little while but ultimately it is not enough. 

Will love get you through unfaithfulness? 
Will love get you through helping someone overcome addiction? 
Will love get you through a hurtful betrayal? 
Will love get you through trying to remain close to an inherently rebellious teenager? 

At some point we have to recognize that love is not enough.  As humans we do not have a never ending supply of love.  Eventually we run low or just completely run out.  This also goes for trust, grace, patience, peace, faithfulness, forgiveness, kindness, gentleness, self control...the list goes on and on.  And what a lot of people do when they run out is give up or just move on with their life.

Well, that didn't work out so I'll just move on. 
He didn't respect me enough or he is never going to change so I will just get on with my life.  
If she doesn't want me in her life I won't waste my time.
 
The common theme there is me, me, me.  Selfishness and pride get in the way of us truly working on relationships.  My pastor once said that "half of the problem in a relationship is you".  We all have faults and moving on to another relationship means you are taking half the problems with you.

No, love is not enough.  WE are not enough.  We need Jesus.  It's really that simple.


The amazing thing is that God fills us with whatever we need.  He knows what we need and He fills us with it. 

 
Today I encourage you to stop relying on yourself to fix a relationship, a person or a situation.  Rely on Him.  I promise if you give it up to Him, He will take it on as his own burden.  He may not give you the outcome that you want but He knows what is best for us. 


And He will give you peace through it.  And he will give you an endless supply of love, trust, grace, patience, peace, faithfulness, forgiveness, kindness, gentleness and self control. 



Trust Him!


 ~Jewels*


No comments:

Post a Comment