Monday, April 7, 2014

Oven Baked BBQ Chicken and Corn on the Cob with Jalapeno Lime Aioli Sauce

Garrett and I are trying to cut out potatoes, bread and pasta.  We are starting with dinners since that is where I love to incorporate my oh so yummy potato recipes or full of flavor pasta recipes.  If y'all are anything like us bad carb loving people you probably had the same reaction I first did when he told me his brilliant plan.  What are we going to eat?!?!  Ha!

I have been on the hunt for some new recipes and this is the first one I tried last night.  Pretty damn good if I do say so myself. 

Oven Baked BBQ Chicken

Ingredients:
  • 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
  • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (I used regular)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 3-pound chicken, cut into 2 wings, 2 breasts, 2 drumsticks and 2 thighs (I just used about 4 large chicken breasts and sliced them in half lengthwise so they would cook faster)
  • 1 1/2 cups ketchup
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
  2. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of the salt, 1 teaspoon of the pepper, the paprika and the garlic powder to a small bowl. Stir to combine. Rub the mix on the chicken pieces.
  3. Combine the ketchup, Worcestershire, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice and the remaining 4 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon pepper in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, for 5 minutes.
  4. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan. In batches, add the chicken to the hot pan and cook until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the browned chicken pieces to the prepared baking sheet. Add 1/2 cup of the prepared bbq sauce to a small bowl and brush over both sides of the chicken. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and brush with additional sauce and serve the remaining sauce for dipping.
This is not my photo but it turned out looking pretty similar!


Corn on the Cob with Jalapeno Lime Aioli Sauce

I made a lot of modifications to this to make it easier but I will list my modifications next to the original instructions.

Ingredients for the Corn:
  • 4 ears of fresh corn, with both husk and threads removed (I bought the small frozen corn on the cob and used four which gave me extra aioli sauce for leftovers today with canned corn.  Since I did not grill my corn I did not need the remaining ingredients, for the corn.)
  • Olive oil to brush
  • A pinch of salt
  • A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
  • A pinch of nutmeg (optional)

Ingredients for the Aioli Sauce:
  • 1 jalapeño chile, stem removed, deseeded, and chopped (I used 2 Tablespoons chopped jalapenos from a jar.  It was just spicy enough for us.)
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • Salt to taste
  • A pinch of  freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika (for smokiness)
  • 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
  • Shredded Parmesan cheese (I did not use the cheese only because I forgot.)
  • Chopped fresh cilantro to garnish (I did not use this because I did not have it but think it would be a great addition!)

Directions:

The recipe I followed had step by step directions on how to grill corn on the cob on the grill.  If you are interested you can click here for the directions.  I followed the directions on the package and just cooked the corn in the microwave - easy peasy!

For the sauce:

Place all the ingredients, except the cheese and cilantro, in a food processor or blender and process/blend until smooth.  Drizzle aioli over the grilled corn cobs, and sprinkle on top with Parmesan cheese.  Garnish with the chopped cilantro, if desired.


Enjoy!

~Jewels*


No comments:

Post a Comment