Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Already There and Green Lightning Shrimp

I love shrimp.  And Bubba is right - there are so many things you can do with it.  You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it.  You can make shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. 
I really hope y'all remember Forest Gump or you just think I'm a freak right about now.

I found a recipe for Green Lightning Shrimp on Pinterest the other day.  It wasn't until I got ready to make it last night that I realized it was for grilled shrimp.  After 10+ years of cooking I have learned to improvise so I sautéed it instead. 

I bought the frozen cooked jumbo shrimp in the freezer section.  I just thaw them out by running cool water over them in the colander. 

I don't have measurements and you don't really need them for a marinade.  Just put as much as you think you would like of each ingredient.

Marinade:
Mix olive oil (extra virgin if going lighter), fresh chopped cilantro, chopped jalapenos, garlic powder, salt, pepper, green onions and lime juice.

Directions:

Thaw shrimp (instructions above) and pull tails off.  Put in a big ziplock bag with the above marinade and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes.

 
In a pan melt butter (anywhere from 1 tablespoon to 1/2 stick depending on how healthy you want to be).  Add about 1 tablespoon of minced garlic and let it cook on medium for a couple minutes.  Add more chopped cilantro (to taste) and let it cook for a couple minutes. 

 
Add the shrimp (with the marinade) to the pan and cook on medium for about 10 minutes or so.


I served over the Sprouts brand garlic and herb rice pilaf.  Yum!


Already There

I love the Casting Crowns song, "Already There".  It is such a great reminder that we don't always have to have life figured out, because He does! 

 
I am very much a planner and I like to be prepared for everything (to a fault sometimes).  So when things don't go how I planned them or when life throws me a curve ball I tend to freak out a little.  It has taken me a long time to learn that life doesn't always have to be planned.  I haven't quite relented control on the day to day part yet. ;)

God knows what is going to happen in my life and He uses experiences (some painful, some joyful) to prepare me for those times.  It's so incredible how you can look back at some life experiences and realize God was using those to prepare you for something later in life.  My favorite part of the song is the bridge:

One day I'll stand before You
And look back on the life I've lived
I can't wait to enjoy the view
And see how all the pieces fit


I know I hope I have a lot more life to live.  And I am confident that I will have many, many, many more Why is this happening moments in my life.  But it is so reassuring to know that God knows why.  He knows the reason.  He knows the outcome.  And the best part?  He is with me through it all!


~Jewels*

No comments:

Post a Comment