Tuesday, June 25, 2013

20 Week Abortion Ban - Stand with Texas Women? Shame on You!

If you know me or have read any of my posts you know where I stand on abortion.  No matter where you stand on the issue I impolore you to read this ENTIRE article before dismissing this as a pro life post.

The Texas House approved a law Monday that bans abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy.  It also requires that any abortions be performed in surgical centers by doctors with admitting privileges. 

I am absolutely appalled at all of the women protesting this ban, no matter where they stand politically.  They have labeled themselves "Stand with Texas Women".  Even if we take politics and religion out of this issue I find it hard to understand the logic behind the protests.  This is part of the reasoning critics of this bill have given:
"Of 42 clinics providing abortions in Texas, five meet the more stringent surgical-center guidelines that have been proposed, Busby said. She noted that 87% of Texas counties don’t have an abortion provider, meaning women already travel an average 43 miles to get abortion."
~LA Times

Seriously?!  These people are protesting because they might have to drive across the state to have an abortion?  The option to have an abortion is still there people.  Is the next step to start pushing for abortion providers to come to your house so you don't have to be inconvenienced at all? 

Most women find out they are pregnant around 8-10 weeks.  This would still give women a large window of time to decide to have an abortion. 

Let me share with you what is going on around the 20th week of pregnancy:
  • He weighs around 11 oz.
  • He is around 6 1/2 inches from head to bottom and 10 inches from head to heel.
  • He is swallowing more which is good practice for his digestive system. 
  • You can see a video here of what the baby looks like at this time. 

BEFORE 20 weeks:
  • Your baby can hear your voice
  • His brain has started designating areas for all five senses.
  • His kidneys are producing urine.
  • The hair has started to sprout on his head.
  • He flexes his arms and legs.
  • He has ears.
*All of the above are facts from Babycenter.com*

I could go on and on but the baby I have described above, at 20 weeks and even PRE 20 weeks, is just that...a baby!  A living human being.  Studies have shown that when abortions are performed after the first trimester the baby can actually feel the pain.  I'm sorry if that is hard to hear but it's true. 

Supporters of the bill say this bill will raise the standards of womens' health care and I could not agree more.  Even if you are pro choice and decide to have an abortion before 20 weeks are you really okay with going to an abortion clinic that does not meet certain standards or requirements?  To me this bill and the requirements within it provide additional protection for the woman.  Apparently people have not been listening to what has been going on in the news lately.  Let me point you to a few articles discussing recent illegal abortions in Philadelphia and Houston.  Trust me, I am providing the ones that don't give all the disgusting details.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/14/pa-abortion-doctor/2159193/

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-doctor-accused-of-illegal-abortions-4519565.php


This is going on in Wisconsin right now and I couldn't agree with it more.

"Just days after the passage of legislation requiring an ultrasound before an abortion, a bill proposed by an Assembly Republican would require an abortion doctor to make burial or cremation arrangements for an aborted fetus. Proposed by Rep. Garey Bies (R-Sister Bay), the legislation would require a fetus more than 10 weeks old to be either buried, cremated or donated for medical training or research. The woman would not have to give her consent to the arrangements, nor would she have to be told they are occurring, under the bill (Phillis, 6/23)."
~Milwaukee Journal Sentinel


To the "Stand with Texas Women" group I would say shame on you.  You are not standing with this Texas woman.  You are making this Texas woman ashamed to live in a state with heartless women who are making abortion seem as if it is something to be praised and admired.  You are making it seem like strong women choose to abort instead of give their babies up for adoption.  You are discouraging other women from giving their babies a chance at life, whether they choose to raise them on their own or not.

I stand with the Texas women (and all women) who choose life for their babies.  I stand with women who sacrifice 9 months of their life so their babies can have a chance to make this world a better place.  I stand with women who love life and understand just how very precious it is!  I applaud women like Ethan's birth mother who selflessly decided to follow through with their pregnancies and give babies like Ethan a chance at life.  I know he has blessed mine beyond measure!







 
 



~Jewels*




1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more! I read in the paper this morning that there were over 84,000 abortions in Texas last year. That's so sad. Who are these people advocating for abortions past 20 weeks? I couldn't sleep at night and I don't see how they do, either. Kudos to you for speaking up. I think you're the perfect person to do so.

    ReplyDelete