Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Distractions

I woke up this morning and was just about to get in the shower when I heard Ethan fussing.  Now that he is teething he often fusses a little throughout the night but tends to go right back to sleep.  So there I am standing in the bathroom with one foot on the tile floor and one foot on the carpet in the hallway, half asleep, debating whether I should take a shower first or get him up and feed him first.  That fussing turned into pitiful crying and my mind was made up. 

Normally I feed him while watching the news in the morning but I was so tired I didn't even think about turning it on today.  Instead I snuggled him up in my robe and just stared at that precious face while he happily drank his bottle.  After all, how could you not want to stare at this precious face?



I realized in that moment that I let myself get distracted far too easily when I am with my boys.  Sometimes I am on my phone or reading a magazine while I'm feeding Ethan.  Sometimes I am trying to do my checking account or get to the dishes while Garrison is trying to talk to me or wants me to watch a movie with him.

I know how busy life can get.  I know that us moms feel like we need to do it all.  But I also know our kids will not remember how clean the house was when they were little.  They will not remember if the laundry was always put away or if the bathroom was spotless.  They will remember the special moments they shared with Mom and Dad though.  And it's moments like this morning that make me realize how precious life is and how blessed and thankful I am that God has loaned me these two precious boys to nurture and love. 

Jewels*

No comments:

Post a Comment