Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Envy

I often find myself envying others.  I envy them for having a nicer car or having a bigger house.  I envy them for being able to eat whatever they want, not working out and still being skinny (yeah, you know the ones).  I envy them for having husbands who send them flowers all the time.  I envy them for going on extravagant vacations every summer.  I never look at the flip side of the coin though.  Maybe they are in debt over their eyeballs.  Maybe they have ridiculously high cholesterol and could have heart issues later in life.  Maybe their husbands are sending them flowers because they feel guilty about that affair they had or are trying to get out of the doghouse from last night's fight.  Maybe they are going on big vacations because they hate their normal lives and want to get away.

Being envious of others is not only a huge waste of time... it can cause us to be unsatisfied with the lives we are leading.  It leads to anger, bitterness, resentment.  Have you ever thought of how many people are envious of you?  I guarantee someone has looked at you and thought they wish they had your hair, your smile, well behaved kids like yours, a husband that looks at them the way yours looks at you. 

The point is we should all appreciate and be grateful for what we have.  Life is what we make it.  I choose to wake up every day thanking God for my blessings.  I choose to focus on the great things in my life instead of the things I sometimes wish I had.

Today I am grateful for:
  • My husband who makes me laugh every day and still shows me romance after 13 years together.
  • My oldest miracle who is my sunshine on dark days.
  • My youngest miracle who God chose specifically for our family.  He has given us pure joy.
  • My sister who is my encourager, supporter, mentor and friend.
  • My parents who have unconditionally loved me for 29 years and are unquestionably there for me.
  • My in-laws who have raised a wonderful man and are incredible grandparents.
  • The list could go on and on but I'll stop there. 

What are you grateful for today?


Jewels*

No comments:

Post a Comment