Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Worn and Wine 101

I have satellite radio in my car and I normally listen to The Highway (Country) but I was listening to the Christian station yesterday.  Tenth Avenue North was on and playing songs from their new album live.  I like them more now than I did before.  They played a song called "Worn" and I cannot for the life of me find it online for you to hear but here is a sample of the lyrics:  I want to know a song can rise, From the ashes of a broken life, And all that's dead inside can be reborn, Cause I'm worn.

One of my other favorite songs of theirs is "You are More" and you can listen to it/watch it here to get a sample of what their music is like.

The lead singer was talking about a verse from Hosea:  "Come, let us return to the LORD. He has torn us to pieces but he will heal us; he has injured us but he will bind up our wounds." ~Hosea 6:1
I have never heard that verse before but I love it because I have lived it.  Sometimes God needs us to be completely broken and worn so we will turn to Him and seek His will for us.  It is in those times that I have been binded and healed.



Isn't it funny how we forget what being a kid was like?  We look at them and wish our lives could be that simple again.  I have learned as Garrison has gotten older that they have worries and heartaches too.  They may seem insignificant to us but they are huge to them.  It is so important to listen to our kids and not diminish things that seem important to them. 

This morning Garison was complaining that I made him sausage biscuits for breakfast.  I thought I was being a good mom by not sending him to school with a pop tart...again.  He was in such a bad mood at home.  On the way to daycare he was being grumpy and wouldn't talk to me.  We get to daycare and I turn around to tell him to get his lunch box and he just lost it.  Side Note:  It's so cute because now he doesn't just cry openly.  He puts his thumb and forefinger over the bridge of his nose/corner of his eyes like a man who doesn't want anyone to know he is crying.  I looked at him and said, "Are you SERIOUSLY crying over sausuage and biscuits?".  He shook his head no.  And then he went into this long, drawn out story about how when the daycare took their field trip to Gatti Town yesterday he didn't get a prize in the prize store.  (Apparently they had to use all the money on their card and he didn't have time to use all the money on his card so he never got to get a prize.)  I could have easily tried to "teach him a lesson" by telling him life isn't fair and to get over it and get out of the car because I was going to be late (again).  But I could see how important this was to him and how hurt he was over this event that seemed so insignificant to me.  I told him that I completely understood why he would be upset about that and that it really sucked that he didn't get to get a prize.  I told him that I would pick him up after school and take him to Target and let him pick out a prize there.  I also may have added in something about the toys at arcades being cheaply made.  :)

The point is that our kids need to know their feelings are important.  They need to know they are significant.  I hope Garrison continues to communicate with me as he gets older.  I am doubtful he will want to tell me about his day when he is 13 but hey, you never know!


Wine 101
I am a wine lover...as if you couldn't tell by some of my Facebook posts/pictures.  Ha!  Garrett and I love to go wine tasting and discover new wines.  Grapevine has some great wineries and we like to go there around our anniversary.  My favorite place is La Buena Vida.  They have live jazz/blues music one weekend a month too.  You can check out their website here.  They have an awesome outdoor seating area with fire pits so we love going in the fall/winter.


I went to get a pedicure Friday night and they served me red wine cold in a chilled glass.  I thought this might be a good thing to blog about since a lot of people have questions about what to serve wine with or what should/shouldn't be chilled.

Typically red wine is served at room temperature and white wine is served chilled.  Red wine also typically lasts a bit longer than white wine.

Red wine (dry) is great for marinating steak.  My favorite picks would be Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon.  Marinating a steak with some wine and garlic salt is amazing!  When cooking with white wine make sure it is a dry white like Chardonnay.
**Tip:  You can buy a super cheap wine to marinate/cook with.  The quality is not important.

I am always discovering new wines and have been surprised to find some really decent priced wines that I enjoy.  My favorite places to buy wine are World Market and Albertsons because they have the biggest selections.  Target has a surprisingly good selection of wines as well for a lower price.

Suggested Whites
I enjoy white wine more in the summer.  I don't like Chardonnay much because it is very "oaky".  I really enjoy Sauvignon Blanc (considered off dry but has a citrus flavor) and Pinot Grigio (slightly dryer but still has a citrus taste).  I would describe both of these wines as very crisp with a citrus finish.  Here are a couple of my favorite brands.

Gabbiano Pinot Grigio (around $10)













Cupcake Sauvignon Blanc (around $8)

 




Suggested Reds

I really like dry red wines with a full body flavor.  My favorites are the Spanish reds from World Market, although I cannot recall any brands right now.  Tempranillo is a really good wine (that is the type, not the brand).

A great red to try is the Red Velvet by Cupcake (about $8).  I thought it would be sweet but it's not at all.  It's dry with a hint of a chocolate finish.

 




There is your Wine 101 for today!  Cheers!!!


*Jewles


No comments:

Post a Comment