Wednesday, August 1, 2012

An Independent Child is a Successful Adult and Creamy Cajun Shrimp

It is no secret that my generation is known for being lazy and having little to no work ethic.  It is also frustrating to be lumped into that category.  My parents raised us to be independent and not rely on others for everything.  We were blessed enough to have cars when we turned 16 and a middle to upper middle class upbringing but we were also taught to never take anything for granted. 

When I went on an interview for my current job the fact that my generation had a "weak work ethic" was brought up in the interview and I was asked to respond to that.  That is when I realized that somewhere along the way something went completely wrong.  I'm not sure what the cause is (society in general, parenting or the huge boom in technology) but I know that it is not what I want for my boys.  I want them to work for what they have and appreciate everything they have.  I want them to never take life for granted.

I see SO many parents out there doing everything for their kids and spoiling them rotten.  Does your kid really need to be carried everywhere at five years old?  Does your kid still need their paci at four years old?  I remember having to remind myself to let Garrison try to do things for himself when he was a toddler.  The thing is they WANT to do things for themselves.  We just have to let them.  Who cares if he punches four holes in the capri sun before he gets it down.  At least he's learning.  Even now, I get frustrated when Garrison spills milk all over the counter, but I want to let him try to be as independent as he can so I bite my tongue and hand him a wet paper towel to clean up the mess. 

Letting your kids be independent can be hard because in a sense it means you are slowly giving up that control and letting them grow up.  I think some moms want to hold on so tightly to their "babies" forever (which I totally get).  But the reality is we are hurting our kids by not letting them learn, grow and build a sense of confidence in themselves and their abilities.  Letting your kids do things for themselves does not mean you should love on them less.  I still smother my six year old with hugs and kisses, even when he pulls away.

I am hoping that my boys grow up to be confident, independent teenagers/young adults who take pride in doing things for themselves.  I want them to work hard for something and understand the sense of accomplishment that comes with that.  I want them to pass on the amazing work ethic that my husband's dad passed on to him and he is passing on to our boys.


"It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves that will make them successful human beings."  ~Ann Landers



Update:  Still going strong on the low carb eating.  I'm feeling great and still don't have any cravings.  I made an INCREDIBLE shrimp recipe last night and it was super easy.  For those of you not worried about carbs you can serve over pasta or rice.  The picture I added is not mine but the shrimp looks very similar (minus the rice of course).

Creamy Cajun Shrimp
1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled & deveined (Wal Mart sells these frozen for $5)
3 T butter, divided
paprika
ground red pepper (cayenne)
garlic powder
onion powder  (I didn't have any so left this out of mine)
salt & pepper
oregano (I didn't have any so left this out of mine)
juice of 1/2 lemon
3-4 T heavy cream
chopped parsley

Season the shrimp liberally with the spices above. You can also add a few drops Tobasco to make it hotter. Melt 2 T of the butter in a large skillet over med-high heat. When very hot, just before the butter browns, add shrimp, one at a time, to the pan. Don't over crowd the pan. Do not move them. When the edges begin to turn opaque, 1-2 minutes, turn the shrimp over and turn the heat down to medium an cook until just done. Remove to a plate and keep warm. Lower the heat to low and add remaning 1 T butter, lemon juice and heavy cream. Swirl until thickened and pour over the shrimp and toss. Top with chopped fresh parsley and serve.



*Jewels


No comments:

Post a Comment