Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Worth Fighting For

What in your life is worth fighting for?  I think most of us would say our children, our freedom our own life if it was threatened.  I feel like in current times we fight for the most frivolous things though.  I have even found myself debating over things like politics, gun control, gay marriage... the list goes on and on.  I am not saying it's not good to be involved or passionate about worldly issues.  I'm just saying that I think our society as a whole has a very skewed perception of what is worth fighting for.  Marriage used to be sacred.  It used to be worth fighting for.  Now people seem to give up at the first (or second or tenth) bump in the road.  I could write an entirely different post on that though.

I have been thinking a lot about how God WANTS us to fight for Him.  When I say fight I am not talking about war or physically fighting.  I am talking about standing up for Jesus like you would stand up for your children, even more so.  I am talking about making deliberate choices, day in and day out, that reflect Him and His love.  I am talking about having an unwavering faith and greater than life passion for the One who knows you better than anyone ever could.   

I often wonder why I sit back in certain situations and just let things be.  I don't want to be part of the "that's just the way it is" crowd.  I am sick of not expecting more from myself, my family and fellow Christians.  When we did get so lazy with our faith?  When did we get so complacent with the way our world is?  At what point do we decide that enough is enough and take a stand to fight for our God?  Taking a stand is reaching out to people in love - especially non believers, not sheltering ourselves in our protective bubbles surrounded by the comfort of our Christian friends.  Taking a stand is speaking up and being an advocate for children who are being bullied in schools or physically/sexually abused at home, not turning a blind eye because it's "not my business".  Taking a stand is having higher expectations for our children and teenagers, not condoning sexual experimentation or "moderate" drug use just because it has become the norm.  Taking a stand is fighting for your marriage, not giving up because it would just be easier.

There is an insane amount of scripture in the bible that talks about fighting for faith and God giving us the courage and authority to do so.  This is something He not only wants from us but expects from us.

"Fight the good fight of faith." ~1 Timothy 6:12

“Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you.” ~Luke 10:19

“Blessed be the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle – my loving kindness and my fortress, my high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the One in whom I take refuge, who subdues my people under me.” ~Psalm 144:1

“The Lord is my strength and my shield …” ~Psalm 28:7

“He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength.” ~Isaiah 40:29 

“But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one.” ~2 Thessalonians 3:3


Are we willing to fight for the One who gave His life for us?


~Jewels*

No comments:

Post a Comment